The Kigali Serena Hotel is a simply stunning retreat for the discerning traveller and the perfect overnight stay to recover from your travels.
Enjoy the theatrical landscape of volcanoes, jagged valleys, waterfalls, lakes and dramatic mountain ranges at Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
Follow mountain gorillas as they range freely in the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, and discover their gorgeous natural habitat and the many species they share it with.
Enjoy a 3 to 4 hour Golden Monkey in the spectacular Volcanoes National Park.
You begin your journey with a refreshing overnight stay in Kigali, before departing the following day for Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is accessible only on foot. It is one of the richest ecosystems in Africa providing habitat for over 90 mammals, most notably 340 Mountain Gorillas, about half the world's population! You can enjoy gorilla tracking, forest walks and cultural visits with the Batwa people. Tracking gorillas on foot is simply once in a lifetime experience. Finally, you head to Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, close to the headquarters of Volcanoes National Park from where you will enjoy wonderful views and take a Golden Monkey trek.
Day 1. Kigali Serena Hotel, Kigali
You will be met at Kigali International Airport and transferred to the Kigali Serena Hotel.
- A short walk from the centre of Kigali is perhaps the country’s most comfortable hotel, where executive elegance combines with the highest levels of hospitality, where 5-star comfort fuses with Rwandan culture and heritage.
- Gourmet dining, a relaxing bar and pool area and feature-filled rooms will ensure your Kigali visit is comfortable.
- The popular Milima Restaurant offers a wide range of all-day choices, while the relaxed Sokoni Café offers poolside seating.
- In-room facilities include 24-hour room service, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, tea/coffee making facilities, mini-fridge, private safe and a flat-screen satellite TV.
Day 2-3. Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp, Bwindi National Park
You will transfer to Gatuna from Kigali and then onto the Rwanda/Uganda border after clearing immigration, you will meet your driver/guide from Uganda and continue to Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp (approx. 5 hours’ drive).
- Just 8 en-suite double tents are on wooden platforms and feature a bathtub looking out onto the beautiful forest.
- Each tent has a large verandah where guests can relax, enjoy a private meal and revel in the atmosphere of the rainforest surrounds.
- Amenities include a bar and dining cottage, as well as 240-volt electricity for lighting and charging, cameras, laptops and phones.
- On day 2 you wake up and prepare for an unforgettable experience! Set off into the forest in the footsteps of the Mountain Gorillas. You will be led by experienced gorilla trackers on the slopes of the volcanoes. It is a humbling experience to stand just meters from man’s distant cousins as they eat rest, play and bond with their young.
- Go for a forest walk to see the fascinating Muyanga Waterfalls. It is a sight to behold and everyone should endeavour to check out the waterfalls while they are in Buhoma as part of their gorilla trekking trip.
Day 4-5. Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, Volcanoes National Park
Have an early breakfast, check out and drive to Kihihi Airstrip to take your flight to Kisoro airstrip. On arrival, you will meet your driver and be transferred onto the Uganda/Rwanda border where you will find your guide from Rwanda and continue your tour. You will be driven to Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, an hour and 45 minutes away.
- Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge is located close to the headquarters of the Volcanoes National Park from where you can trek on foot to see mountain gorilla – a dramatic, thrilling and poignant wildlife experience.
- The lodge, situated in the foothills of the mighty Virungas, affords wonderful views of the volcanoes.
- There 6 stone cottages, 2 suites and a family cottage. All are stone buildings with Rwandan terracotta tile roofs and feature large sitting areas, fireplaces, stylish en-suite bathrooms finished and a sheltered veranda. The lodge is the perfect base from which to explore this unique and fascinating corner of Africa.
- You will be collected from Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge and taken to the Volcanoes National Park, where you will start a Golden Monkey trek that will last between 3 to 4 hours. Afterwards, you’ll transfer back to Sabyinyo Lodge.
Day 6. Departure
At 10h30 you will check out of Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, drive 3 hours back to Kigali city, you will be transferred to Kigali International Airport, 2 hours before your departure flight. Upon arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be met by a representative for Akagera Aviation, who will assist you with customs and immigration clearance.
This Tailormade Journey
- Meet and greet with airport transfers.
- Accommodations at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp.
- Meals as shown (BB-Breakfast, & FD-Full board).
- Exclusive use of a 4WD vehicle.
- Services of a Thousand Hills’ Driver/Guide.
- Bottled mineral water in the car at all times.
- Forest walk.
- Emergency evacuation cover.
- Airline tickets.
- Entry visas.
- Gorilla tracking permits (1 day- Uganda).
- Scheduled flight, quoted separately.
- Certain meals specified under own arrangements,
- Drinks throughout the trip.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal extras such as telephone calls, minibar and insurance.