Giraffe Sanctuary Forest | Nairobi | The Maasai Mara | Laikipia
8 days | 7 nights
Nairobi is the capital of Kenya and East Africa’s most cosmopolitan city, with a vibrant population of 4.5 million. Unique to the city is the proximity of Nairobi National Park, a true wilderness area juxtaposed against the larger urban metropolis. It is the only national park like it in the world and a real embodiment of the human-wildlife conflicts that challenge many African communities who must learn to cohabitate with wildlife on their doorstep.
The Laikipia plateau is fast becoming a region to rival the Maasai Mara. Rolling savannahs interspersed with riverine woodlands and granite inselbergs dot the landscape, with multiple rivers and streams eventually running off into the Ewaso Nyiro, northern Kenya’s largest river. Home to all the Big Five, this idyllic region affords a huge variety of experiences and activities without the larger numbers of visitors that are sometimes found in national parks. Guests have the possibility of seeing northern species of giraffe, ostrich, and zebra amongst others. Horseback, camel, and walking safaris are very popular.
The Mara conservancies are Maasai owned group ranches that have combined to conserve a total area nearly the size of the Maasai Mara National Reserve itself, covering 1450 km2 (560 mi2) across fifteen conservancies. The wildlife in the conservancies can be comparable to the main Maasai Mara game reserve, and in fact some areas have higher densities of predators than in the central reserve. Because there are fewer camps, the conservancies can offer a more exclusive experience than in the central reserve, with generally fewer game viewing vehicles around sightings.
Day 1-2. Eden Hotel, Nairobi
- Upon arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International airport, you will be met and assisted with immigration and baggage claim.
- You will be met by a Hekaya Africa driver who will escort you to your private vehicle for onward transfer to Eden Hotel.
Bordering the Giraffe Sanctuary forest on the outskirts of Nairobi, Eden sits on a four-acre property in the peaceful suburb of Langata and offers travelers an immediate connection to a deeply authentic expression of one family’s Kenyan home, history and adventures. Originally designed and built by Tonio and Anna Trzebinski, the 9 bedroom former family home has been transformed into a living museum and private gallery space that is filled with the family’s own artworks and creations, as well as their personal library and artefacts that have been collected over a lifetime from across the continent.
Day 2-5. Segera Retreat, Laikipia Plateau
- This morning after breakfast, you will be transferred to Wilson Airport for your schedule flight to Nanyuki Airstrip.
- You will be collected by a Segera Retreat guide and transferred by road to Segera Retreat (approximately 2 hours), your home for the next 3 nights.
Segera lies in the high grasslands of the Laikipia Plateau, its six timber and thatch villas raised above a profusion of botanical life to offer views towards Mount Kenya. Each large, en-suite bedroom has a private deck with sun loungers, swing bed and sunken Jacuzzi sunk into the deck outside the bedroom. The recently restored Farmhouse homestead, gracious Segera House and Villa Segera boast even greater privacy and luxury.
Day 5-8. Cottar's 1920s Camp, Maasai Mara
This morning after breakfast, you will be transferred to Nanyuki Airstrip (approximately 2 hours) for your schedule flight to Keekorok Airstrip. You will be collected by a Cottars Camp guide and transferred by road to Cottars Camp, your home for the next 3 nights.
Vintage luxury at its best, the award-winning Cottar’s 1920s Camp is situated on a 7608 acre private conservancy bordering the famous 'seventh' natural wonder of the world, the Maasai Mara in Kenya and the Tanzania Serengeti game reserve. Owned and managed by the oldest established and continuing safari family in Africa it extends an era of luxury and quality and returns to the original spirit and essence of 'safari'.
Day 8. Nairobi
This morning, after breakfast, you will be tranferred by road to Keekorok Airstrip, for your schedule flight to Nairobi's Wilson Airport. You will be collected by a Hekaya Africa drive, and head to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Nairobi City Excursion and dayrooms can be arranged (at an extra cost), depending on your time of departure from Kenya.
This Tailormade Journey
- WiFi (available in the Media Room only),
- Guided forest walks
Segera Retreat Includes:
- All meals
- All drinks, both non-alcoholic and alcoholic from a selected wine list (excludes owner’s selection of imported brands and champagne)
- Retreat activities: drives (game/art), walks (guided/art), C4C, sleep outs, visit to a local homestead and a variety of other community-based activities
- Wireless Internet
- All statutory taxes and Including VAT
Cottar's Camp Includes:
- Full board accommodation
- Park & conservancy fees
- Water, tea & coffee, Local Drinks– soft drinks, house wines, beers, & select spirits
- Safari activities (including shared day/night game drives & bush walks/runs)
- Cottar’s Warrior School - Kids entertainment program at the 1920s Camp and Bush Villa only
- Cottar’s Private Airstrip transfers
- Canvas Bush Baths, applies to Double
- Honeymoon & Family tents at the 1920s Camp only.
- Transfers to cultural visits
- Laundry included at the 1920s Camp and Bush Villa but not at the Conservation Camp
Hekaya Africa Ground Arrangements Includes:
- JK International Airport meet and assist
- All road transfers
- All domestic charter or scheduled flights as detailed in your itinerary
- Amref Emergency Evacuation (covers evacuation from camps to major hospital in Nairobi. Medical bill payable direct)
Segera Retreat Excludes:
- Nay Palad Bird Nest Experience at Rack Rate US$ 1600 / NETT US$ 1200 (low season) and Rack Rate US$ 1900 / NETT US$ 1425 (high season) per night, surcharge to normal accommodation rate
- Wellness treatments in Segera Spa and Rasul Chamber;
- International air transfers
- Air (as well as any related taxes) and road transfers to and from Segera Retreat
- Gratuities / tipping
- Visas for Kenya – where required
- Departure taxes at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and Nairobi Wilson Airport
- Day trips and excursions
- Wines, spirits and champagne from the owner’s selection of imported brands
- A fully comprehensive travel insurance policy valid from the date of itinerary confirmation (all guests traveling to Segera must be covered by such a policy)
Cottar's Camp Excludes:
- Champagne, luxury wines & spirits
- Cultural village entry fee ($20 pp)
- Massage and Spa treatments (starting from $50)
- Exclusive use of vehicle - $330 per day
- Certain activities
- Transfers to and from Keekorok Airstrip*
Hekaya Africa Ground Arrangements Excludes:
- Private guiding (US$ 1,500 per day)
- Travel Insurance (please make sure that you secure appropriate travel insurance before departing for your trip)
- Covid-19 test and Trusted Travel certificates
- Meals and drinks at Nairobi restaurants unless otherwise specified
- Entrance fees on Nairobi excursion unless otherwise specified
• Items of a personal nature, gift shop purchases, telephone calls
• All gratuities