Khwai Community Area | Linyanti Concessions | Livingstone (Victoria Falls)
Khwai Tented Camp has modern and spacious Serengeti-style tents, with stylish and comfortable interiors and private bathrooms with running water.
The Khwai area of the Okavango lies along the northern boundary of the Moremi Game Reserve. Wildlife moves freely between the woodlands in the wet season when water is plentiful and back to permanent rivers and lagoons in the dry season.
Linyanti is known for its large populations of elephant and buffalo that congregate in vast numbers especially during the dry season. You’ll see magnificent wildlife indigenous to the area. Your guide will show you the hidden spots best for game viewing and give you an insider’s knowledge.
Traditionally, the Mokoro was the only form of transport through the waterways. Sail through the rivers and tributaries with our River Guides in a dugout canoe, savouring those moments of peace, and encounter an incredible variety of wildlife along the way.
Night drives allow for the discovery of nocturnal creatures such as civets, genets, honey badgers and spring hares. The vast, untamed wilderness of the Linyanti is the perfect location for those seeking a unique African adventure in an exclusive and remote big game habitat.
Livingstone town is famous as the home of the magnificent Victoria Falls. One of the original natural wonders of the world, the World Heritage Site is known locally as 'The Smoke that Thunders'.
Visitors can hike around the falls, take sunset cruises along the river, with champagne and snacks included, meander through the vibrant local Livingstone Market, or discover the region’s history and archaeology at the Livingstone Museum.
From the stunning watery wilderness of the Khwai Concession to the wild region of Linyanti and finally ending in the magnificent Victoria Falls this itinerary packs a punch. The perfect for first-timers to Africa who want to see the best on offer, or for anyone who enjoys the wilderness. The pace is perfect- leisurely but not too slow giving you time to explore each area and also to recover from travel days.
Khwai Concession is on the Eastern side of the Okavango and the Khwai river forms the unfenced boundary with the Moremi Game Reserve meaning the wildlife moves freely between the two areas. Profits from the lodges in the area benefit the local community and village visits and traditional dugout canoe rides add depth to your experience. Night drives and bush walks are also possible. Then you head off to the vast and remote Linyanti Reserves where large herds of elephant and buffalo roam the stunning landscape. Big game viewing is a signature of the area. A mosaic of woodland habitats, ancient floodplains and forests make up the lush, unfenced reserve. Several packs of African wild dogs are found in the area and lions, leopards and cheetahs are frequently sighted.
Finally, you are off to the town of Livingstone in Zambia adjacent to the mighty Victoria Falls. There is much to do including sunset cruises, walking with Rhino, white water rafting and highwire activities are optional for thrill-seekers and of course not to miss the waterfalls themselves! After all of this, you can head home with a head full of the wonderful experiences you have had, or choose to add on some time elsewhere- Cape Town makes a great addition.
Day 1-3. Khwai Tented Camp, Khwai Community Area
On arrival into Maun Airport, after clearing immigration and collecting your luggage, you will proceed to the arrivals hall where you will be met by a representative from MackAir who will assist you onto your Charter flight to Khwai Airstrip. On arrival, you will be met by a guide from Khwai Tented Camp who will then transfer you to the camp where you stay for 3-nights.
- 6 elegant tents perched on wooden decking overlooking the tranquil waters of the lagoon. The camp exudes the charm and aura of the old Africa in a new era and provides a truly authentic African safari experience.
- Besides the day-time drives which can feature Africa’s big attractions – lion, cheetah, leopard, wild dog, elephant, buffalo, hippo and giraffe – guests at Khwai Tented Camp are able to explore nature after sunset with a night drive.
- This activity allows guests to get an up-close and personal experience with some of Africa’s nocturnal and/or more elusive animals.
- Or explore the great stands of leadwood and mopane woodlands as well as open grasslands and banks of the Khwai River on foot.
- Share the day’s experiences around the firepit, or at the communal dining table – often set up under the stars – or soak in the spectacle from your private veranda.
- Visits to the local community are possible. All proceeds from the camp go to the local community and focus on the upliftment of local inhabitants.
Day 4-6. Linyanti Camp, Linyanti Concessions
The lodge team will confirm your departure time from lodge today for your transfer to Khwai Airstrip for your Charter flight with MackAir to Saile Airstrip. On arrival, you will be met by your guide from Linyanti Camp who will transfer you to the Camp where you have been booked to stay for 3 nights.
- Linyanti Bush Camp is situated on the banks of Linyanti Marsh in a private reserve which borders the western boundary of Chobe in the Chobe Enclave. The marshes are the only water source for miles around and attract water-adapted and desert-adapted wildlife, plus large numbers of birds.
- Linyanti Bush Camp is an intimate camp with 6 luxury tents on the banks of the Linyanti Marsh. The elevated communal area offers a cosy lounge, bar and dining area, as well as a pool, with beautiful views of the unique Linyanti landscape.
- Linyanti is best known for its large populations of elephant and buffalo that congregate in vast numbers especially during the dry season. Other wildlife encounters include lion, leopard, wild dog, the rare and elusive sitatunga antelope, hippo and crocodile. The area also offers spectacular birding all year round. The area's relative remoteness makes it a favoured wild safari destination and one of the best sought after areas in Northern Botswana.
- Each Luxury tent has comfortable Twin / Double beds, en-suite bathrooms with flush toilets, fixed showers and running water.
Day 7-8. Thorntree River Lodge, Livingstone (Victoria Falls), Zambia
The Lodge team will confirm your departure time from the lodge today for your Charter flight with MackAir to Kasane Airport. On arrival, you will be met by a driver who will then transfer you to Thorntree River Lodge where you have been booked to stay for 3 nights.
- Thorntree River Lodge is set in Zambia’s Mosi-Oa-Tunya National Park, just a short distance from the famous Victoria Falls. Thorntree River Lodge has been completely rebuilt with an environmentally-conscious design. Drawing inspiration from local customs and culture, it is a modern contemporary design with tented roof structures to maintain the feel of authentic Africa.
- The lodge boasts 12 twin rooms with 2 sets of interleading units. Each unit has its own indoor and outdoor bathrooms, as well as a luxurious private plunge pool.
- The main lodge consists of a lounge with an open dining area, where the fine dining experience of African cuisine will come to life. A gym and spa overlook the mighty Zambezi River, and there is a small library with WIFI for our guests’ convenience. The communal deck is set on the edge of the stunning riverside and is home to a sunken boma area and an infinity pool.
- Wooden decking floats on the edge of the river and moves with the water level to create the illusion of sailing a boat and help to achieve a seamless feel between river and land.
- Enjoy the splendour and magnitude of one of the Natural Wonders of the World. After the rains, experience Victoria Falls in all her glory and when the Falls are dry, marvel at the rock formation.
- Spend half a day visiting this community during your stay at Thorntree River Lodge and see the impact of the Foundations work.
- Encapsulating the essence of Africa, a cruise down Zambia’s glorious Zambezi River at sunset offers wonderful African wildlife sightings in an incredibly romantic setting.
- Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park is home to the extremely rare and endangered white rhino who is under 24-hour protection by the rangers. At Thorntree River Lodge you’ll get the unique opportunity to see these incredible animals up close on a short walking safari.
Day 10. Departure
The lodge team will confirm the time of your transfer Livingstone Airport for your connecting onward flight back home.
This Tailormade Journey
- Khwai Tented Camp: 3 Nights Fully Inclusive - Bed, All Meals, Fees and Activities and All Local Brands (Spirits, Wine and Beers) Included
- Linyanti Bush Camp: 3 Nights, Fully Inclusive - Bed, All Meals, Fees and Activities and All Local Brands (Spirits, Wine and Beers) Included
- Thorntree River Lodge: 3 Nights, Fully Inclusive - Bed, All Meals, Fees and Activities, All Local Brands (Spirits, Wine and Beers) Included
- Visa fees for Botswana and Zambia.
- Premium brand drinks and wines at all properties.
- Gratuities, curios and any other items of a personal nature.
- Prices also exclude any additional government taxes or levies which may be introduced or increases in departure taxes, fuel surcharges or levies. All prices are quoted in United States Dollars.