Nairobi | Borana Conservancy | Maasai Mara | Diani Beach
Nairobi is the capital of Kenya and East Africa’s most cosmopolitan city, with a vibrant population of 4.5 million. Unique to the city is the proximity of Nairobi National Park, a true wilderness area juxtaposed against the larger urban metropolis. It is the only national park like it in the world and a real embodiment of the human-wildlife conflicts that challenge many African communities who must learn to cohabitate with wildlife on their doorstep.
Borana Conservancy sits at the foot of Mt Kenya just north of the equator on the Laikipia plateau, nestled between an arid landscape to the north and ancient indigenous forests to the south. This 32,000 acre conservation area is home to both black and white rhino and, along with Lewa Conservancy, create the largest contiguous rhino habitat in East Africa, with over 200 rhinos. It is possible to see all the Big Five as well as a wide variety of endangered species, including African hunting dogs.
The Mara conservancies are Maasai owned group ranches that have combined to conserve a total area nearly the size of the Maasai Mara National Reserve itself, covering 1450 km2 (560 mi2) across fifteen conservancies. The wildlife in the conservancies can be comparable to the main Maasai Mara game reserve, and in fact some areas have higher densities of predators than in the central reserve. Because there are fewer camps, the conservancies can offer a more exclusive experience than in the central reserve, with generally fewer game viewing vehicles around sightings.
Many consider Diani Beach, and its extension Galu Beach, to be not only one of the most beautiful beaches in Africa, but likely in the world. It is about 17 km (10 mi) long, from the Kongo River in the north to Galu Beach in the south (the southern point of reference is an old Baobab tree). The coast's white sand and warm clear turquoise waters are protected by the continuous coral reef, making for very good fishing and snorkeling. Diani is a popular spot for kitesurfing and sky diving and is not far from the Shimba Hills National Reserve, which looks out over the Indian Ocean.
Day 1-2. The Emakoko, Nairobi National Park
- Upon arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International airport, you will be met and assisted with immigration and baggage claim.
- You will be met by an Emakoko driver who will escort you to your private vehicle for onward transfer to Emakoko Lodge.
The Emakoko allows people to start and finish their safari in the wildlife environment they have traveled so far to enjoy. Within 15 minutes of clearing customs you can be viewing game in Nairobi National Park. The only “transfer” delays likely to be encountered en route to or from The Emakoko are the natural pauses to watch a pride of lions or waiting for a rhino or journey of giraffe to cross the road.
Day 2-5. Borana Lodge, Borana Conservancy
- This morning after breakfast, you will be transferred to Wilson Airport for your schedule flight to Borana Airstrip.
- You will be collected by a Borana Lodge guide and transferred by road to Borana Lodge, your home for the next 3 nights.
Borana Lodge is at the heart of Borana Conservancy, with a fantastic view of Mount Kenya. The lodge is perched on a hillside above a dam, where herds of elephant regularly gather to bathe at lunch time. The presence of water close to the lodge attracts all kinds of characters; lion and leopard are regular nocturnal visitors and are sure to make themselves heard.
Day 5-8. Cottar's 1920s Camp
- This morning after breakfast, you will be transferred to Borana Airstrip for your schedule flight to Cottar's Airstrip.
- You will be collected by a Cottar's Camp guide and transferred by road to Cottar's Camp, your home for the next 3 nights.
Vintage luxury at its best, the award-winning Cottar’s 1920s Camp is situated on a 7608 acre private conservancy bordering the famous ‘seventh’ natural wonder of the world, the Masai Mara in Kenya and the Tanzania Serengeti game reserve. Owned and managed by the oldest established and continuing safari family in Africa it extends an era of luxury and quality and returns to the original spirit and essence of ‘safari’.
Day 8-12. Alfajiri Beach Villa, Diani Beach
- This morning after breakfast, you will be transferred to Cottar's Airstrip for your schedule flight to Diani Airport.
- You will be collected by a Alfajiri Villa representative and transferred by road to Alfajiri Villa, your home for the next 4 nights.
Designed to feel like a home away from home, the villa is decorated with handmade hardwood furnishings and is surrounded by lush palm gardens for maximum privacy. Sea breezes gently flow through the open living area under a ma- kuti roof, okra floor, wooden beams, and impressive artefacts. Your private overflowing swimming pool sits right in front of your veranda, merging into the ocean and the horizon.
Day 12. Departure
This afternoon, you will be tranferred by road to Diani Airport, for your schedule flight to Nairobi`s Wilson Airport. You will be collected by Hekaya Africa driver, and head to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Nairobi City Excursion and dayrooms can be arranged (at an extra cost), depending on your time of departure from Kenya.
This Tailormade Journey
- Full board accommodation (lunch, dinner and breakfast)
- Soft drinks, local beers, non-premium wines and spirits
- Activities Included: Two game drives per day in Nairobi National Park and excursions to Giraffe Centre / the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (time permitting) - entrance charges for excursions payable direct.
- Nairobi National Park fees.
- Airport transfers Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) and/or Wilson Airport - minimum 4 pax
- guarantees exclusive use of vehicle for game drives
Borana Lodge Includes:
- Full board accommodation
- Local airstrip transfers (Borana Conservancy & Lewa Downs)
- All Borana Conservancy based activities
- Mandatory per person donation to conservation
Cottar's Camp Includes:
- Full board accommodation
- Park & conservancy fees
- Water, tea & coffee, Local Drinks– soft drinks, house wines, beers, & select spirits
- Safari activities (including shared day/night game drives & bush walks/runs)
- Cottar’s Warrior School - Kids entertainment program at the 1920s Camp and Bush Villa only
- Cottar’s Private Airstrip transfers
- Canvas Bush Baths, applies to Double
- Honeymoon & Family tents at the 1920s Camp only.
- Transfers to cultural visits
- Laundry included at the 1920s Camp and Bush Villa but not at the Conservation Camp
Alfajiri Villas Include:
- Exclusive use of the villa and pool.
- Full board accommodation.
- Soft drinks, beers and wines.
- Non-luxury spirits.
- Nannies available 24 hours.
- Personal butler at your disposal.
- Guest library and games.
- Airstrip transfers.
- Use of Golf clubs.
- Use of snorkeling equipment.
- Ngalawa (local African boats) at disposal for excursions to coral reef for snorkeling.
- One daily massage per adult and teenager.
- Chauffeured transport within Diani Beach area.
- Visit to community project, orphanage.
- Visit to local villages in Diani beach area.
- Gym at a nearby property.
Hekaya Africa Ground Arrangements Includes:
- JK International Airport meet and assist
- All road transfers • All domestic charter or scheduled flights as detailed in your itinerary
- Amref Emergency Evacuation (covers evacuation from camps to major hospital in Nairobi.
- Medical bill payable direct)
Emakoko Lodge Excludes:
- Champagne, premium spirits, cellar wines.
Borana Lodge Excludes:
- Premium spirits, cellar wines and champagne
- Adventures beyond Borana Conservancy
Cottar's Camp Excludes:
- Champagne, luxury wines & spirits
- Cultural village entry fee ($20 pp)
- Massage and Spa treatments (starting from $50)
- Exclusive use of vehicle - $330 per day
- Certain activities
- Transfers to and from Keekorok Airstrip*
Alfajiri Villas Exclude:
- Selected wines, luxury spirits, and Champagne.
- Mombasa Airport Transfer.
- Activities excluded:
- Diving and Diving courses.
- Dee Sea Fishing.
- Kite Surfing and Kite courses.
- Dhow excursion to the Kisite Marine National Park.
- Golf at the nearby 18 holes Golf Resort.
- Day safaris to Shimba hills and Tsavo East National Park.
- Spa treatments at nearby property.
Hekaya Africa Ground Arrangements Excludes:
- Calvin Cottar private guiding (US$ 1,500 per day)
- Travel Insurance (please make sure that you secure appropriate travel insurance before departing for your trip)
- Covid-19 test and Trusted Travel certificates
- Meals and drinks at Nairobi restaurants unless otherwise specified
- Entrance fees on Nairobi excursion unless otherwise specified
- Items of a personal nature, gift shop purchases, telephone calls
- All gratuities