Enjoy an overnight stay at the Kigali Serena Hotel where 24-hour room service, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, tea/coffee making facilities, mini-fridge, private safe and a flat-screen satellite TV make your stay comfortable and refreshing.
Magashi is the only exclusive-use area in Akagera National Park- a productive and phenomenally diverse park that conserves scenic savannah and has incredible game viewing opportunities including lions and rhinos which were reintroduced. Your stay will contribute to these species' continued conservation.
Take part in an incredible mountain gorilla trek in the Volcanoes National Park.
Stay at Singita Kwitonda Lodge which offers breathtaking views of the Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhabura volcanoes and is surrounded by high-altitude forests.
This itinerary offers a typical safari setting combined with the wondrous adventure of tracking gorillas on foot through the dense rainforest and mountain peaks of Volcanoes National Park. You begin your journey with a refreshing overnight stay in Kigali, before departing the following day for Akagera National Park and an incredible savannah safari experience. You can expect wonderful game viewing of emblematic species such as zebra, giraffe, lion and rhino.
After 2 nights you set off for the Volcanoes National Park, best known as a sanctuary for the region’s rare mountain gorillas. Singita Kwitonda Lodge which offers breathtaking views of the Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhabura volcanoes and is surrounded by high-altitude forests. You will get to take a trek through the forest on an amazing journey to see mountain gorillas.
Day 1. Kigali Serena Hotel, Kigali
You will be met at Kigali International Airport and transferred to the Kigali Serena Hotel. You will be provided with a vehicle and driver for use throughout your stay in Rwanda.
- A short walk from the centre of Kigali is perhaps the country’s most comfortable hotel, where executive elegance combines with the highest levels of hospitality, where 5-star comfort fuses with Rwandan culture and heritage.
- Gourmet dining, a relaxing bar and pool area and feature-filled rooms will ensure your Kigali visit is comfortable.
- The popular Milima Restaurant offers a wide range of all-day choices, while the relaxed Sokoni Café offers poolside seating.
- In-room facilities include 24-hour room service, air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, tea/coffee making facilities, mini-fridge, private safe and a flat-screen satellite TV.
Day 2-3. Magashi, Akagera National Park
You will transfer from Kigali Serena Hotel to Akagera National Park by a vehicle which will take 3 hours. You will be met by Magashi vehicles at the park gate and drive a further 30-minute scenic drive to Magashi.
- Magashi Camp is situated in the productive and phenomenally diverse north-eastern corner of Akagera National Park, overlooking scenic Lake Rwanyakazinga.
- Akagera has some of the most scenic savannahs in East Africa and is home to one of Africa’s highest hippo densities, large crocodiles, as well as the rare sitatunga and more than 520 bird species. Akagera also boasts a healthy population of lions and black rhino which were reintroduced to the park after decades of poaching.
- Magashi is the only exclusive-use area in Akagera National Park and also harbours a good density of leopard.
- Akagera is conserving Rwanda’s last protected savannah ecosystem, and species like black rhino and the rare and elusive shoebill. Your presence here will contribute towards it to become economically self-sufficient.
- Experience twice daily scheduled camp activities including game drives through the park, boat rides, bird watching and fishing on catch and release basis.
Day 4-5. Singita Kwitonda Lodge, Volcanoes National Park
Your luggage will be transferred by luggage vehicle. After lunch, you will check out of Magashi and drive to the helipad, 10 minutes from the camp for your helicopter flight to Kigali. On arrival in Kigali, you will connect to another flight at Musanze Airstrip where you will be met by a driver who will drive you to Singita Kwitonda Lodge.
- Boasting breathtaking views of the Sabyinyo, Gahinga and Muhabura volcanoes and surrounded by high-altitude forests, Singita Kwitonda Lodge offers an experience unlike any of Singita’s other destinations.
- With exceptional natural beauty, environmentally conscious luxury and transformative, purpose-driven experiences, the lodge was designed in response to this remarkable location. Contemporary suites are linked by volcanic rock pathways to the central lodge.
- The interiors emphasise local design and handcrafted details adorn the carefully planned spaces. Layered textures and colours enhance the reflective quality of this tranquil haven and an experiential enclave offers free-flowing indoor and outdoor areas. A convivial fire pit, interactive kitchen, bar-deli and wine cellar complete the picture.
- After an early breakfast at Singita Kwitonda Lodge, proceed to Volcanoes National Park headquarters, where you will join your group for a briefing before starting your Gorilla tracking experience on day 2.
A light aircraft will fly you from Hwange to the large expanse of Lake Kariba.
Day 6. Departure
At 10h30 you will check out of Singita Kwitonda Lodge, drive 3 hours back to Kigali International Airport, 2 hours before your departure flight. Upon arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be met by a representative for Akagera Aviation, who will assist you with customs and immigration clearance.
This Tailormade Journey
- Included at Kigali Serena Hotel: Bed and Breakfast
- Included at Magashi: All meals, all local drinks (excludes premium imported brands and champagne), transfer from the entrance gate of Akagera National Park to the lodge, all lodge activities (guided game drives, boat cruises, walking safaris), park fees, laundry, local Government taxes. In the event of a change in local taxes or the introduction of additional taxes, these rates will be adjusted accordingly.
- Included at Singita: All meals, beverages (premium wines, spirits and liqueurs) excluding French Champagne, laundry service and WiFi.
- Airline tickets.
- Entry visas.
- Price excludes $1500 for gorilla permit per person.
- Meals in Kigali hotels.
- Scheduled flight, quoted separately.
- Drinks unless specified.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal extras such as telephone calls, minibar and insurance.